Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Mixed Vegetable Gnocchi



Some of my earliest childhood memories include my grandmother cooking for me the Polish version of gnocchi (kopytka) which we ate with copious amounts of melted butter.  Soooo good!  These days I have developed my own style of cooking and I always like to make my own versions of different dishes.  This includes making gnocchi with a few different veggies - not just potatoes!  The process takes a while from start to finish and can be a bit of a messy job so I suggest probably trying this recipe on a weekend or when you have a spare couple of hours.  Depending on the mix of veggies you use and the type of flour, you may need to adjust the amount of flour you use - this is why I put an approximate amount of flour below - what worked for me might be slightly different for others.  

Ingredients (serves 4-6):
- 1kg mixed, peeled veggies (I used 500g white potato, 300 sweet potato, 200g pumpkin)
- 50g butter, softened
- 1 free range egg
- Sea salt and pepper
- 3.5 cups (approximately) GF flour (I used Macro brand) or other flour

Method:
1.  Boil veggies until tender.  Drain and allow to cool to room temperature.

2.  In a large bowl, mash the veggies with butter, egg and season with salt and pepper.

3.  Add the flour, a half cup at a time and mix it in.  Once you've added about 2 cups of flour, get in there with your hands and begin to knead the dough.  Add more flour until the dough is still soft but not sticky.

4.  Separate the dough into 8 balls and roll each ball out into a log.  With a floured butter knife, cut each log into small pieces.  Put the cut pieces in a single layer onto a sheet of baking paper.



5.  Boil a pot of water and cook the gnocchi in batches.  The gnocchi is ready when it floats to the surface.

* I served the gnocchi with grated cheese and a simple sauce which I made by frying half a chopped onion and a crushed garlic clove in some butter, then I added some chopped, mixed fresh herbs, a tin of chopped BPA-free tomatoes (I used Spiral brand), 200ml water, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tsp Thermomix veggie stock concentrate and some salt and pepper.  I cooked this for about 10 minutes until the sauce reduced and thickened.


 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love this, thank you for sharing. I am keen to try this one as we cook additive free foods and my husband is coeliac, so this is perfect! I love your story, it is similar to our own family experiences. T x

    ReplyDelete