If you've been following my Facebook page, you may have seen me post about Matilda, the travelling swirly pan from the Aussie Peoplehood of the Travelling Swirly Pan. Matilda makes its way to a new Australian home every fortnight. Currently it's my turn to bake in Matilda and I made this gorgeous cake in it. If you would like to be part of the baking action, head over to this page for more info or to sign up! In the meantime, check out my latest blog post.
- 3.5 cups unbleached spelt flour
- 3/4 cup rapadura sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 free range eggs
- 400ml coconut cream
- 50g butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
Icing - whipped coconut cream:
- 2 x 400ml tins coconut cream, refrigerated for a few hours
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 punnet of strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Fresh mixed berries
- Toasted organic coconut flakes
1. Make the cake. Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Grease the cake tin with butter and dust with spelt flour. Set aside the prepared cake tin. In a large bowl, whisk together until well combined the spelt flour, rapadura, baking powder, eggs, coconut cream, butter and vanilla. Pour half the cake batter into another bowl. Add cacao powder to one of the bowls and whisk to combine. Pour small amounts of the cake batter, alternating between the 2 batters, into the prepared cake tin. Swirl the batter with a skewer or knife. Pop into the oven for around 20-25 minutes or until the top of the cake springs back when pressed lightly on top. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before turning out and allowing to cool completely.
2. Make strawberry sauce by processing strawberries and maple syrup until a smooth consistency. I did this in the Thermomix for about 40sec/sp4-5. Rinse Thermo bowl.
3. Make whipped coconut cream. With an electric beater (or Thermomix, with the butterfly attachment), add all the coconut cream icing ingredients and whip until the mixture thickens (approx 1min/sp4 in Thermomix).
4. Ice the cake with the coconut cream and strawberry sauce, then garnish with berries and toasted coconut.