Sunday, September 29, 2013

Chocolate Coconut Self-Saucing Pudding



I had a major craving today for chocolate self-saucing pudding.... I realised it's been years since I last had it!  So seeing as it's school holidays (and long weekend here in Perth) and it was cold and rainy today... my keen 4yo helper and I got cooking!  This recipe is literally just throwing everything into 2 separate bowls and then into a baking dish and into the oven to bake!  So simple yet so delicious and very warming!  We served this pudding with a dollop of coconut yoghurt, recipe for the yoghurt is courtesy of Alisha, the Naughty Naturopath Mum and Essence Practitioner. 

Ingredients (serves 6):
Batter:
- 1 cup spelt flour (I used light spelt flour)
- 3/4 cup rapadura sugar
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 + 1/2 cups coconut milk (or coconut cream plus water)
- 1 free range egg
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla essence

Sauce:
- 1 cup freshly boiled water
- 1/2 cup rapadura sugar
- 1/4 cup cacao powder

Method:
1.  Grease a square 20cm baking dish with coconut oil and preheat your oven to 160 degrees.

2.  Combine all the batter ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.  Pour the batter into the baking dish.

3.  In another bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients.  Then using the back of a large metal spoon, pour the sauce all over the batter.

4.  Bake for around 25 minutes or until the centre of the pudding springs back when lightly pressed on top.  Allow to cool down a little and serve warm with yoghurt or cream or fruit!

2 comments:

  1. OOOh a healthy take on a childhood favourite. My prayers have been answered!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE a pudding!!! Yum. I wish it was cold here, can picture being rugged up with pudding and a hot choc right now!
    Can't say I have ever had it with yoghurt before - what an interesting combo to try! XX

    ReplyDelete