Saturday, June 15, 2013

Coconut Chocolate Chip Cupcakes



I like to keep a stash of lunchbox friendly snacks in the freezer so that the kids and I can quickly throw together their lunchboxes for school and ensure that they get a bit of variety in what goes in the lunchboxes.  I always like to have some kind of cupcakes in the freezer.  Though when my 4 year old helped me to make these this afternoon, quite a few got eaten before they made it to the freezer!  Hope you like them as much as we did.

Ingredients (makes 12):
1.5 cups whole kamut (or spelt) flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
40g butter, softened
1/2 cup rapadura or raw sugar
3/4 cup chocolate chips 
1 free range egg
1.5 cups coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake cases

2.  Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine

3.  Divide the batter between the cupcake cases

4.  Bake for around 15 minutes or until the cupcakes spring back when pressed lightly at the top

6 comments:

  1. Made these today, big hit with the kids! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann-Maree, so glad your kids liked them! My kids love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These really are delicious! Great recipe. Thanks for posting! I used rapadura sugar and coconut cream (because that's all I had in the cupboard)and chopped up some organic chocolate. Kids love them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you and the kids liked them Carolyn! I use coconut cream and milk interchangeably anyway! Rapadura sounds like a good sub, I will try that next time I make these :)

      Delete
  4. If I wanted to use rice malt syrup would I use less coconut milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would suggest adding a cup of coconut milk and mix it all together to see what the consistency is like. If it's too thick then add the remaining coconut milk.

      Delete